Friday, May 05, 2006

Daily Hate

What the fuck is wrong with the YPOTs? Is it unreasonable of me to expect that people who were still in fucking grammar school when I started working at Big Fucking Bookstore might defer to my fucking judgment on how to do things around the store? Is it crazy of me to think that because I was once the store Trainer, that I might actually have more fucking expertise in the most efficient fucking way to do things than someone who started as a cashier six months ago and just started working Info in the last two fucking months?

Tonight, a 20-nothing bookseller argued with me about the sorting cart. She said it was inefficient. This is based on her vast experience with reshelving books for all of the last two months. One of her arguments was that she "worked 40 hours a week." I guess the implication there was that as a full-timer her judgment was more important or more valid than mine since I am a mere part-timer. Because, you know, closing three to six nights a week since 19-fucking-97 apparently makes me less qualified to determine the most efficient way to recover the fucking store than someone who has worked full-time for the last six months.

Now the HippieChick also happens to disagree with how I sort things for reshelving. But, and this is important, she's worked for Big Bookstore as long as I have, so I respect her opinion. I don't agree with it, and when we're at Info together there's a sort of silent tug-of-war over the sorting cart. She'll sort books her way, then leave the Info Desk, and I'll resort them my way, and back and forth we'll go. And it's OK. Because like me, she works her ass off, and between the two of us we'll get more shelving done than any four YPOT booksellers. So HippieChick and I are OK with the disagreement and we don't even discuss it.

But little Cunty McSmartass and her "40 hours a week" superiority? Sorry. She can kiss my big fat ass.

To calm myself down, and de-angrify, I shall ponder the following Big Bookstore koan: If an EAS gate goes off in the store, but there's no LP guy there to hear it because he's working on merchandising instead, does it make a sound?

8 Comments:

Blogger Harmonica Virgin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:10 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

It would seem Cunty McSmartass has gone above and beyond at this point. Not only has she put her own name out there and yours, she has put the name of Big Bookstore out there. It seems to me this little whip isn't as intelligent as she soooo tries to be.

That being said, I sure know how you feel when you have been doing things a certain way for years and then along comes a little anal retentive whip trying to do things her way. Maybe a little power has gone to her head. However, like I said above, I don't think this little whip is as intelligent as she tries to make you think she is.

11:13 PM  
Blogger ereshkigal said...

Thanks for your support, Gerbera Daisy. As you have seen by now, I deleted her comment precisely because she used real names. But I've put the redacted version in my next post.

11:28 PM  
Blogger Harmonica Virgin said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:32 PM  
Blogger ereshkigal said...

I'm far from anonymous, Kari. Pretty much everyone who cares know who "ereshkigal" is. I simply choose not to use my full name on the Internet for many good, logical and sensible reasons, safety being the most important. I don't think a lot of people would disagree with the wisdom of that.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Same here, Kari. I totally and completely agree with "ereshkigal" on this one. I too, am far from anonymous and anyone who cares about me knows who I am in real life. But, if you were as smart as you are trying to be, you wouldn't be using your real name on the internet. Why invite problems??

12:43 AM  
Blogger (BB & B) said...

Not only is it a safety issue, but if you really thought about it, kari, you'd keep in mind that "ereshkigal" is also a LAWYER and in all honesty, she just might know a little more when it comes to leaving out names of companies and people, esp when expressing her opinions via the net. secondly, you akri are always entitled to ure opinions... however, you should keep in mind that "ereshkigal" is entitled to her own too, thus the reason why she has this blog to begin with. And im sorry, whether your right or wrong Kari, "ereshkigal" her been at Big Bookstore for almost a decade... whether it be fulltime or not, think about it. im sure she's seen more things go on there and more policy changes than youve seen. If she wants to shelve a certain way, she is entitled. you can agree to disagree and still get the job done instead of going abck and forth argueing over it. find a different approach Kari.

"ereshkigal" i must say, this is deff one of your best posts.... well done, as always!

11:00 AM  
Blogger ereshkigal said...

Thanks for the support, myfutz, but go easy on the full-time bookseller bashing. Some of my very favorite people in the world are full-time booksellers. In fact, I plan to be a full-time bookseller when I retire and can afford it.

11:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home