Saturday, January 08, 2005

This Is Why We Can't Have Nice Things

A couple of weeks ago I posted about my Busman's Holiday. In response to that post, someone posting anonymously made an extremely shitty comment about management. While the post didn't mention any names, it was pretty clear that one person was the intended target of the comment. I probably should have deleted the post at the time, but I didn't. I didn't delete for a couple of reasons. I'm not a big fan of inviting discussion (by the act of allowing comments to my posts) and then editing that discussion. Also, deleting or editing comments is just an invitation to the world to test the limits of the editor's tolerance. Finally, I didn't think it was that big of a deal. And in that final conclusion, I was mistaken. Had I thought about it a little more deeply, I would have realized that it was a big deal.

I didn't think it was a big deal because, for the most part, this blog has been very positive about Big Bookstore, and I didn't think one comment grousing about management was too much to get excited over. I think I've made it clear, as have most of the posters here, that I love working at Big Bookstore and I love the people I work with. In fact, our love for each other and books is the reason we put up with the things we don't like - like mean customers. But what I didn't really think about was how the individual at whom the comment was targeted would feel after reading the remark. I think we can all try to figure out what it feels like to walk around the store wondering who the hell it is that wants to slap you silly. I'm guessing it feels pretty shitty. I'm deeply sorry for that. As I say, I should have deleted.

And being deeply sorry brings me to my next point. I don't like having to apologize for what is, essentially, someone else's primary fuck up. It makes me mad. So from now on, I'm asking you, the readers of this blog, to refrain from making personal, negative comments, unless you are willing to accept responsibility for them - and by that I mean, tell us who the fuck you are. If you don't have the balls to say it and take credit for it, don't say it at all.

I'd like to think we are adult enough to be self-policing. I could just turn off the anonymous comments, but I don't want to. Anonymity isn't always bad. I wouldn't, for example, mind an anonymous comment from someone expressing his (sorry, Mir) undying love for me. Preferably from some hot, young, anonymous poster. Just sayin'.

So, bottom line: I would prefer that you register with blogger and log in to post comments. If you really need to post anonymously, or are just a lazy fuck, then go ahead, but I will be aggressive with the delete button if necessary.

And remember this: I have referrer logs, so you are never really anonymous.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting.

I find it fascinating that your own venomous comments about various "cow-workers" do not equate with others' such comments about management. Perhaps that is because members of management (and customers--let's face it, you've been hawking this thing like it's a paid site) read this, and it is an excellent brown-nosing opportunity.

And, yeah, it probably does feel bad knowing that there are people walking around who want to "slap you silly." Such is life.

9:32 AM  
Blogger ereshkigal said...

Ah, Anonymous. So angry, yet so stupid.

Yes. I make a lot of venomous comments. But you know who I am. Do you see the critical distinction here? I'm not anonymous. Get it? Let's see if I can explain it another way.

Your comments about me, posted anonymously, make you a big pussy. Because anybody can say shitty things if there are going to be no consequences. The internet is replete with trolls like you.

My comments about others, for which I take open credit, are merely thoughts which I vainly assume might amuse.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Gary Walker said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:51 PM  
Blogger ereshkigal said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:39 AM  
Blogger Gary Walker said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:04 AM  
Blogger Gary Walker said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:08 AM  
Blogger Gary Walker said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:16 AM  
Blogger ereshkigal said...

Thank you, Elmira. I will be back. Fear not. I shall blog tonight.

4:46 PM  
Blogger MarkFarley said...

Hi there Ereshkigal,

I just wanted to pass on my regards and compliment you on a fine blog. I came to you through Joe Gordons site, the bookseller who was fired.
You write so well and you are also very funny. I think you are in NY, im not sure.
I am in London and I work for the same company as Joe and I am also a writer and blogger (only recently) and we all think that what has happened to Joe is outrageous.

It was so strange to read through all of your comments, its like you work with us here in London. I am glad that there is other people out there who understand the sheer stupidity and ignorance people have when they walk through the doors of a retail establishment.

It is unfortunate the way the employee has no rights in modern day customer service and how customers abuse the good nature of an establishment to just fucking well try and get whatever they want.

Customer service courses these days tell you that the customer is not always right and we have the right to have our management stand up for us but unfortunately when you take this knowledge and understanding back to the workplace, nothing happens.

Keep blogging and I will keep my eye on you.

Please keep upto date with Joe and support him anyway you can.

Mark
www.geocities.com/markfarleyauthor

9:21 PM  
Blogger ereshkigal said...

Thanks for your compliments, Mark. I can't say where I work, because I'm attempting to keep this blog as anonymous as possible, but I do work in a large city on the East Coast. I sincerely hope that Joe's story has a happy ending.

Mimi, don't worry about it. Any time you engage in discourse on the internets (™ Shrub), there will be those who flame or disagree. It's not big deal.

I'm going to try to keep the blog less personal from now on. (Although, frankly, if anyone cared to do a close analysis, I think that very few of the comments *are* personal.) As Mark points out above, the experiences are universal and that's what makes it interesting.

2:17 AM  
Blogger ereshkigal said...

Mimi, on second thought, I deleted your response. I'm sorry. I hate deleting people's posts. But I really think it's better not to respond to trolls or baiting - it just encourages another response, and becomes a neverending cycle.

4:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home